Home >  Blog >  Does it make sense to drink water after eating fruit

Does it make sense to drink water after eating fruit

Posted by Peter on 21 September 2016
Does it make sense to drink water after eating fruit

I regularly eat fruit as an extra: orange, banana, grapes and apples. Many fruits naturally contains both acid and sugar. Acid directly attacks the tooth enamel, sugar converted by bacteria in the mouth acidic and therefore also affects the tooth enamel. It is useful for this reason, immediately after eating of a piece of fruit, drink a few sips of filtered water in such way that you rinse well while the water is in your mouth. Or does eating fruit not attack your tooth enamel?

Think this way: It never hurts, because drinking water is always healthy, unless you drink ten titers at a time, but that you were not planning. Is water healthy?

What kind of fruit you eat also makes a big difference in the health of your teeth. Most likely you know fruits (and I mean "fruit" in the botanical sense) has almost by definition a very low pH, such as apples, pears, kiwis, especially citrus fruits. Some fruits, especially berries (they are also fruits, but special ones) are much less acidic and contain a lot of sugars, such as melon, grapes, and more. And then you obviously have a few exceptions to the rule, such as banana or avocado, which are almost not acidic. What you should know. 

  • Is it at all acidic fruit? Then you should assume that it will attack your tooth enamel. but...
  • Is it hard, fleshy, watery fruits like an apple? By chewing these your teeth actually are fully cleaned and removed the plaque. The acids in the fruit do not attach themselves to the plaque (which is after all mostly gone) and neutralized quickly by saliva. Not such a problem.
  • Is the fat, soft, sticky fruit like a banana, melon? Is water melon healthy? Then plaque remains behind, and the bacteria that are present will immediately start to break down the sugars from the fruit and forms the spot acid. That is in addition to the acids in the fruit itself. Oops...
  • Is it sour, soft, watery fruits such as oranges, kiwi? Plaque is only removed to a limited extent, therefore is a lot of acid-free, and the bacteria in plaque will create additional acids. Also Ooops, but less severe than the last.

By drinking water after eating fruit you flush the soluble acids and sugars, but these that attached itself to the plaque (or left between your teeth), remains and is the basis for bacteria to acidify. If you drink water, the dissolved sugars and acids will be quickly rinsed or neutralized by saliva. So you see what is happening: the culprit is not so much what you eat or quickly washes away with water or saliva, but what sticks to your teeth. Hence it is said (partly rightly) that an apple after a meal is almost as good as brushing your teeth. For any other type of fruit, just read the above.

Well drinking water can never hurt. Fruit water. Drinking water after a bite of fruit is advised by doctors and dentists, after you rinse the sugar off your teeth so that the enamel will not be effected.

Author: Peter
Tags: Better Health

Post comment
 
Contact UsPrintBookmark SiteTell a FriendHome